About the EMGA
The Edinburgh Men’s Golf Association (EMGA) is a very busy and well-organized club. We will play 13 tournaments during the 2019 golf season, all on Saturday or Sunday. There will be two Saturday/Sunday events this year. We try to maintain a membership base of about 200 members. The average tournament consists of about 100 players. You must buy a patron card through the Proshop to be a member of the EMGA.
Q: How much does it cost to join the EMGA?
A: Yearly dues are $150, plus you must purchase a Patron Card from the Proshop. First-time EMGA applicants pay the special introductory rate of $130. If you belong to the Saint Andrews Club, your yearly dues are $150 and your patron card is paid by SAC.
Q: Where is the Application for Membership?
Download this link
And contact Kurt Johnson with questions.
Q: Does it cost extra to be in each tournament?
Q: How many Tournaments does the EMGA have each year?
A: The EMGA will host 13 events in 2019. The events are a great mix of individual and team based events.
Q: What benefits do I receive with EMGA membership?
Q: Are the events only for golfers with low handicaps?
Q: Are there any social events?
Q: Who can I contact with more questions?
A: Please send an email to Emmet Hanratty at email@example.com with questions that you might have.
EMGA Pace of Play Policy
In 2011, EMGA has implemented a policy to ensure events are played within course guidelines for pace of play. Click here for policy information. If you have any questions, please contact anyone on the board of directors.
EMGA White Tee Policy, Rule of 78 (White Tee) Qualification
The EMGA Board of Directors, upon request by the general membership, has reviewed policy regarding the White Tee qualification and has revised the policy as of 2013:
- Age (at the end of current calendar year, 2019) plus Blue tee course handicap (as end of the MN GHIN season the previous year, 10/31/18) must be equal or greater than 78
- Qualifying players must elect white tees prior to the first event of the year and play from them for the entire year, regardless of change in handicap, and applies to EMGA stroke and match play events
- Players who do not qualify under the required age + handicap requirement prior to the first event must play from the blue tees for the entire year
- Players electing white tees will have their handicap adjusted per the USGA guidelines (See Course Handicap Calculations)
- The changes will prevent players from being forced to change tees from revision to revision due to handicap changes
For reference, the 2012 qualification (no longer in existence)
- Age (at the end of calendar 2012) plus blue tee course handicap must be greater than or equal to 78
- Must be 60 years old (as of the end of calendar 2012)
- Most current handicap is applied for each tournament qualification. Because of that, a player may qualify for white tees in tournament 1, but, after a GHIN revision, may not qualify for tournament 2. After an additional revision, a player may qualify again. The player, at his choice, may elect to play white tees for tournament 1 and 3, but may not play white tees from tournament 2 since his most current handicap plus age would not qualify under the rule of 78.
- Player electing white tees had two strokes subtracted from his blue tee handicap
Course Handicap Calculations
For all EMGA events, every effort will be made to ensure the USGA guidelines are followed in all formats. For individual events (both stroke and match play), the following changes will be made:
2019 White Tee Adjustment
- White tee players’ handicaps will be adjusted down two strokes from their calculated white tee course handicap. This is in line with USGA guidelines for mixed tee events.
For reference, 2012 White Tee Adjustments
- White tee players’ handicaps were adjusted down two strokes from their calculated blue tee course handicap. The adjustment made accounts for the difference in course rating, but not the slope. (Note – Rather than adding two strokes for the difference in course rating from the blue tees, EMGA has elected to subtract two from the white tees. This is acceptable under USGA guidelines)
The EMGA Board of Directors acknowledges changes to previous years’ club policy, but the changes implemented will align us with current USGA rules regarding handicap calculations.
2019 EMGA Board of Directors
|EMGA Officer||Name||Email Address||Term Expires|
|Vice President/Communications||Ryan Waltersfirstname.lastname@example.org||2020|
|Course Liaision||Mark Jacobsemail@example.com||2021|
|Season-Long Match||Mark Jacobsfirstname.lastname@example.org||2021|
|Ringers and YTD Stats||Mike Fredericksonemail@example.com|
|DAM Cup Captain||Lyle Wongfirstname.lastname@example.org|